We were contacted by a number of woodworkers who had been using domestic plug in remote control adaptors with their dust extractors. Inevitably over time the units burnt out, and we were challenged to find a more robust solution.
Domestic type remote switches are great for controlling resistive loads, but any tool with a motor creates an inductive load (further explanation of load types can be found here). Turning on an inductive load does not cause an issue. However, when the relay contacts open to turn it off, the stored inductive energy in the motor coil is discharged, resulting in a damaging arc across the terminals. Our remote system uses a high quality branded contactor instead of a relay to switch the extractor. Contactors work using the same principle as a relay, but they are much larger and far better suited to switching higher current inductive loads.
Simply plug in the standalone remote control unit, and then plug your extractor into it. When the remote control 'ON' button is pressed the unit turns on. With the standard unit, when the 'OFF' button is pressed it turns off immediately, whilst with the time delay unit it turns of after 10 seconds.
- Robust IP65 enclosure.
- Rotary switch to enable dust extractor to be set to off, on or remote control.
- Output on indicator.
- With the time delay unit, the delay is supplied set to 10 seconds. Any specific delay can be requested when ordering, and it can also be user adjusted by removing the front cover of the enclosure.
- Supplied with one remote keyfob with separate on/off buttons. Additional RF remote controls and RF switches can be easily paired by pressing the pairing button.
- Range up to 40m, using an encoded 433Mhz signal to reduce interference.
- Contractor rating 230v AC-7a 40A, AC-7bl. 110v AC-1 32A, AC3 18A.
- 1m in and 0.4m out, H07RN-F industrial quality harsh environment rubber cable with either 13A durable connectors, or a 16A German manufactured Menneke industrial plug and socket.
- If a no volt release switch (NVR) is fitted to the extractor, this will need to be bypassed, or the DoL dust extractor control unit used.
- Dimensions L150mm x W120mm x D75mm (approximate).
- May be wall mounted.
- Can be supplied with any length of cable or alternative plug/socket on request.
- PAT tested.
Advantages of a remote system:
- Reduces dust, improving the workshop environment.
- Saves power by running the extractor only when needed.
- Saves time.
- Reduces noise.
- Reduces heating bills (where extractor vents outside).
Please note that this is a standalone unit, and is not compatible with the Modular Dust Extraction Control System.