This leads is specifically designed for use when there is an increased risk of electric shock e.g. due to a decrease in body resistance. Developed following customer feedback, it is the only weatherproof extension lead available within the UK with a 10mA in-line RCD. Available in 2m, 5m and 10m lengths - select the required length from the drop down list above. For power tools and charging EVs, please see our standard 30mA RCD lead.
Whilst standard DIY store extension leads are manufactured from plastic connectors and cheap, easy to damage PVC cable, these leads are in a different league. They are carefully constructed in our workshop from the highest quality and most robust cable and plug/sockets available.
Please see our hot tub safety page for further advice.
Safety design features:
- Super-sensitive 10mA in-line RCD. An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers do not provide. UK RCDs normally have a rating of 30mA, which is fine for garden power tools. In higher risk applications, a 10mA RCD increases the level of protection provided.
- The RCD is an active unit, which means that the reset button must be pressed each time the power to it is disconnected.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality Hamilton branded socket with a choice of single (1 gang) or double (2 gang) units. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets (we don't advise that you test it of course!). N.B. The lead will be supplied with the cable entering the base of the socket, not the top as shown in the picture.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter).
- If installed for longer periods outside, as with any electrical enclosure, a small drain hole must be drilled at the bottom of the unit (where marked and according to the instructions provided). This is to reduce the risk of condensation building up.
- 2.5mmsq cable for high current applications. Normal DIY extension leads use 1.25mmsq cable. The extra thick cable is used in this lead to keep resistance and voltage drop to a minimum. It is for this reason that the maximum length is 15m.
- Industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about this cable.
- PAT tested.
Further recommended precautions:
- The socket must be cited as far away as possible from any hazard and in no circumstances closer than 2m to any body of water (IET Wiring Regulation 702.32).
- In higher risk situations, the socket must be kept 30cm off the ground (IET Wiring Regulation 702.53). We are currently developing a plastic ground spike, which will be available later in May 2020)
It is the responsibility of the user to consider the IET Wiring Regulations, manufacturer's guidance, the safety of the supply and any other relevant risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead for any given application. This is of particular importance in circumstances where there is an increased risk of electric shock. If in any doubt, consult an electrician.