These adaptors are compatible with the bulkier type of UK 13A plug now used on all EV chargers including the Tesla mod 1 and mod 2 UMCs. If you have a Tesla mod 2 UMC, a range of standalone adaptors and a specific version of the ModulEV® system are both available, offering faster charging rates. Please see our guide on determining which Tesla UMC version you have.
Using an EV 'granny charger' in the UK is relatively simple, as domestic locations only have standard 13A sockets. In contrast, charging abroad can be a confusing minefield! Firstly you need to navigate a range of different sockets which look deceptively similar, yet may be in incompatible with some plugs, even when they physically fit together.
Secondly for some EV chargers you may need to overcome the issue of reverse polarity. We are currently trying to compile information on each UK EV charger and whether it is affected by reverse polarity. At present it is clear that the Tesla Gen 1 charger is affected, whilst the Gen 2 is not. The position on most other chargers is unclear at the moment. In simple terms, in the UK a 13A plug can only be inserted one way. If you face a socket, the live is always wired to the right receptacle (hole), with the neutral to the left. Some UK EV chargers expect the power to be configured in that way, and will not operate if the live and neutral are connected the other way around (the polarity is reversed). A comprehensive guide to sockets used across Europe and Scandinavia and the issue of reverse polarity is available here.
Following extensive research and feedback from frustrated EV users, we have expanded the standalone range of EV adaptors. They provide a simple cost effective for users who envisage travelling through countries with only 1-2 types of socket. Our ModulEV® modular EV charging system provides a more flexible solution for more extensive travelling.
Standalone EV adaptors enable the charging of an EV using domestic sockets across Europe and Scandinavia:
- Connect the required standalone adaptor to the power socket. The universal CEE7/7 plug adaptor can be connected to both Schuko and French sockets, providing a single solution for the majority of Europe and Scandinavia. The adaptors have 1m of heavy duty cable, following feedback that a longer length is useful for European sockets, which are often mounted higher up than in the UK.
- Use a socket tester to confirm whether the supply is wired correctly for your EV charger.
- If you will be using with a Tesla Gen 1 mobile charger and therefore require the ability to reverse the polarity, the universal Schuko/French and the European adaptor has a version which incorporates a clever switch, which at a press swaps the polarity over, so that it will always provide you with the correct configuration. Having one unit removes the need for separate polarity reversal adaptors, reducing both the cost and storage space required. Other units are not provided with the polarity switch, as reverse polarity is unlikely with the other socket types. The reverse polarity switch is not required for any other EV charger.
- Plug your EV charger's 13A plug into the standalone adaptor's socket, and charge as you would in the UK. Unlike any other available UK weatherproof socket, this version closes shut with the more bulky type of 13A plug now used on all EV chargers including Tesla mod 1 and mod 2 UMCs (see note on mod 2 UMCs a the top of the page). If a longer lead is required, use your UK EV extension lead between the adaptor and charger.
The picture below illustrates a typical application; an EV charger with a UK 13A plug is connected to a Schuko socket using the standalone Schuko/French universal adaptor.
The Electrical Safety First website provides a fantastic resource to check the type of sockets used in any county worldwide. For more technical information, the Digital Museum of Plugs and Sockets provides a fascinating resource.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality 13A socket, compatible with all UK EV 'granny charger' 13A plugs.
- Socket can be locked shut with a small padlock with a maximum diameter of 5.5mm (not included).
- 0.8m of the following diameter cable:
- 4mmsq - IEC 230v (32A), IEC 415v (32A)
- 2.5mmsq - IEC 230v (16A), IEC 415v (16A)
- 1.5mmsq - universal Schuko/French adaptor (16A), Danish adaptor (16A), Italian adaptor (16A), Swiss adaptor (16A)
- 1mmsq - Italian adaptor (10A), Swiss adaptor (10A)
- Industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about this cable.
- A socket tester must always be used to ensure correct polarity.
- PAT tested.
If you require an adaptor which is not listed, please do get in touch, as we can make adaptors for almost any international socket, many from stock.